Sunday, August 15, 2010

They should have called him Houdini...

Apparently Jarrod and I chose the one dog at the pound who is amazing in all senses of the word.  He is amazingly cute, as you can see...

He is an amazing snuggler!  All I have to do is get down on the floor and sit and he is on map lap in .2 seconds.  Which is impressive for a dog that passed lap size awhile ago.  He is amazingly smart.  He does very well at sitting, staying, walking, jogging, and coming when called.  He also knows very well when he has done something wrong, even before I say something.  He gives lots of kisses and even makes it a point to lick my legs dry when I get out of the shower (TMI?) However..... He is also amazing at doing things he shouldn't!

Like most young dogs, Portland is either teething or just loves to chew... Everything!  When we first got him we had a wooden baby gate to keep him in the kitchen.  He chewed on that most days and so I put apple bitter on it.  Stilled chewed.... So I bought hot sauce.  No dog like hot sauce, right?!  Again, our dog is amazing...he likes hot sauce!!!  And so the chewing of the wooden gate continued until one day I came home to Portland sitting on the couch, the gate busted and chewed to bits and remnants of hot sauce wood all over the kitchen! OY!

We now have a metal gate...which though he is amazing, he can not chew through it!  HOWEVER... he apparently can jump over it!!!  I recently came home to a dog laying in his bed rather than in the kitchen and yet the gate was still closed tight!? This gate is 3 feet off the ground... HOW DID HE DO IT?!  He was in big trouble that day, even though part of me wanted to shake his paw for his amazing athletic ability.  That day he also chewed molding, drywall and rubber.... another OY.  

Jarrod found this product online called Phooey.  I bought it and sprayed it on everything he began chewing on and so far so good.  This stuff is nasty!  I have to cover my own face when I spray so that it doesn't stick to my lips for days.  I hope this is the solution we have been searching for.  Now we just need to deal with the hurdler we adopted.... Puppy Olympics?! He'd be amazing for sure.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment