Friday, August 13, 2010

It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

As odd as it sounds, being only 88* outside today feels really nice!  Anywhere else I've lived that would be an absurd statement, but here it makes sense.  After taking the dog for a stroll (and by stroll I mean a constant fight between pulling dog and "training" human) I put Portland away with a kiss and a pig ear and went for an errands walk myself.  I thought I would introduce you (and by you I mean blog land and followers) to where we live in Houston:
This is the courtyard area of our apartment complex... Be glad there is no such thing as smell-o-vision because you'd gag a little at the smell of how many dogs live here and are not cleaned up after.  Other than the smell though, it is really nice to have some green space!









Not sure if you can tell, but the top of my foot is really swollen because I was bitten by a fire ant.  NOT FUN!












Not sure why is rotated funny... but this is our parking spot.  Why are we parked so far back, you ask? The tree you see there is home to many a feather friend and they enjoy relieving themselves on the roof of my car if I park close enough to their tree.  So I park further back...









This is a very hip seafood/Mexican restaurant across the street from our building.  It appears to be a very popular place with many a Mercedes and Porches parked in it's lot.  My only complaint about it is that they insist on blasting music almost every day of the week until about 12:30 am... even when no one is out on their patio.  Weird!








This is the street we live on... not certain on grass stains got up there...













Montrose Boulevard is very close to our apartment.  This is a major road in this area of town and has a lot of restaurants and such on it.  I also like how the city informs you when a major road is coming up. It's very helpful to those of us who just moved here and have a hard time knowing where we are!









Can you see the lizard?!  I've seen several of these little guys running around.  Just glad they're this small...












This is the coffee shop around the corner from us.  I am really happy it's there, because it helps me feel more urban when I can walk to a coffee shop!  Not certain if they are the BEST but it is pretty good coffee.  I have seen people hanging out here at all hours of the day, which is cool to know it can be a hang out spot anytime :)









Sadly when some people down here have asked where I am from, this is what they think I've meant.  "No not Main st... the state of Maine..." this is than followed by a glazed over look or a "ohhhh, cool..." haha









So far my experience has been that southern car washes are no where near as good as northern car washes.  Perhaps I am bias... and missing the ones I used to get for free :)











About 1.5 ish miles up the road from our apartment is the Museum district of Houston.  Not a bad distance at all!  The closest museums are the museum of fine arts and the museum of natural science.  There is also a health museum, a children's museum and a museum of contemporary art.  There are a lot of little ones as well, so I am pretty excited to have all of these to explore eventually.






This area is full of restaurants and bars and is only about a 10min walk from our place.  I haven't explored them yet, mostly because I am not a huge fan of eating out on my own, but I am eager for sure!










It's amazing how a library card can make you feel settled :)  I got my library card today, and though our local branch is not uber impressive, it's still nice to have one within walking distance!











A genius idea! A coffee shop/bakery next door to the library!  This little strip of food places is so quaint and covered in ivy... Love it!












This is next to the library as well.  I have heard many good things about it so Im excited to try their food :)












(Again sorry for the rotation issues) Oh you thought we moved to Texas?  No we moved to London... HA I WISH!!!












We are a less than 5 min walk to the University of St. Thomas.  It will be interesting to see how the atmosphere of this area changes when school begins again....











#23... That's us!














Thanks for going on a walk with me today!  Hope you enjoyed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment