Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hello Whirlwind Called School

I know it has been a while since I wrote last but school has begun and it has been extremely busy on many fronts.  I will try to touch base on a few things, but I apologize ahead of time if I leave something out... feel free to ask follow up questions if needed :)

DOG: Ok so as many know I have had some really hard times with our new pup Portland.  We wanted desperately to keep him in the kitchen all day while I was away at school so as to have more space but still being contained.  Due to his wonder dog traits this plan was not working and so I had to break down and buy a crate :(  I did not want to do this, however with the trusty support of my facebook friends and family I went to Pet Smart and found one... on sale!  I was able to buy a bigger one for the price of the medium sized one so that made me feel better about him being detained.  The first day I left him in his crate I was certain I would find Houdini in the living room when I got home.  True it's form, the crate kept him inside all day and he seemed quite ok about it! Thank goodness!

SCHOOL:  School with students began on Monday and it has been a crazy tornado of reading, planning, teaching and coaching, with the days flying by.  I am teaching 4 sections of World Geography, 1 section of World History and 2 "sections" of Cross Country.  It's really nice that we coach during the day so there is nothing extra once school is over by 4pm.  We do meet at 6:30 am for the xc team to get a run in while it's "cooler", which needless to say has been tough in terms of getting enough sleep to stay energized through the school day.  So far my classes seem ok, mostly freshmen, with one class of sophomores, but really it's just getting used to them all being so tall!  Man do they grow from middle school to high school!!!  My one gripe at this point, at least the one worth typing about, is that I don't have my own classroom.  It would be great to have a place to meet the xc team when needed, and to have a place I feel settled.  However on the flip side I do really enjoy having other new teachers around in our floaters office, so it's not horrible.

COACHING: I am coaching cross country right now as I mentioned above and so far it's pretty great.  Most of the girls are really dedicated and that's nice to see when you're dragging your butt out of bed at 5:30 for them.  We also have track girls during the day when we meet for "XC Class" and that gets tough because they're not really in the training mode yet since their season technically starts in the spring.  So we have a lot of girls who do not really want to be there when we meet, but the ones that do work really hard and it's nice to see.  I've been running with many of the girls on their daily runs and it's been great to get a work out in before school.  The only problem is that the coaching office's shower does not have hot water!!! Luckily I'm at about 100* when Im done running and I can't even tell :)

JARROD: Jarrod has an interview!!!  It's very exciting because there are actually 2 of the same positions that need to be filled and so far Jarrod is the only one (he thinks) that is being interviewed.  The chances seem pretty good.  The only down side is it's not the greatest job in the world.  It's shift work that does not pay well.  He'd have a crazy schedule and we'd barely see each other, but at least he'd be HERE.  Once he's living here it will be much easier to find the right job.

At this point that's really all my life entails... somewhat sad I know, but busy is a good place to be when you're alone... Hopefully not for long!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment